Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sports and the Search for Respect

Respect. It's something each of us demands, but how do we go about earning it? For me, sports has always been crucial in earning the respect of my peers. In sports, there is no bullshitting. You either have the talent to play a sport, or you don't; therefore you have no way to hide behind excuses or blame others. Your play on the field/court is in someways a reflection of your personality. Are you the tough cat who is willing to give the extra 2% necessary for victory, or are you the weakling who shrinks in the face of competition, and worse yet openly shows your fear?

For me, Basketball has always been a venue where I've earned the respect of others. Physically I don't particularly stand out. I am of average height and average build. I am also very unassuming. I don't talk much trash, but rather play the game to the best of my ability. Because of my stature, people often take my skills granted and I am not guarded very hard. Everything changes after I begin to make a few shots. My defender realizes that I am talented and that my game must be respected. In many ways, my experience on the court translates into life outside the court.

Nothing about my life particularly WOWS others. I am a smart person, but others are surely smarter. I am a good looking person, but others are surely better looking. I am charismatic, yet others are surely more charismatic. So, in keeping with my basketball mindset, I find inspiration in being overlooked by others. I carry with me the proverbial chip-on-the-shoulder mindset. Regardless of how people view me, I take it upon myself to show other's that my abilities are equal to, if not exceeding, theirs, and that I have earned their respect.

3 comments:

  1. I believe me and Beka have much in common. I believe this is a spot-on analysis of how people earn respect. When people are young, a way that they unite is through athletics. There are leagues between children of similar age within their own town, and those talented enough usually join travel teams to play against other towns. I joined a travel team as young as third grade. I was a very similar athlete to Beka. I surely wasn't the tallest or the strongest or the most athletically gifted. I made up for it with heart, determination, and perseverance. I tended to surprise people on the court and field with my athletic abilities despite my size constraints.

    I was known as one of the more intense athletes in my town, and I took that role with pride. People respected my heart, and I was proud of that role. Everyone on the field knew they wouldn't have to question my effort, and it earned me a lot of respect with my peers. I know people in most towns have experienced similar situations with respect.

    I will be going to the basketball courts at the CCRB in about a half hour. Once again it will be easy to spot the different types of athletes on the court. There are the naturally gifted athletes, the people who worked countless hours to reach their peak skill level (which still isn't that good), and then the people who don't belong on a basketball court. I truly respect those people that put in the time like me and their passion on the court is evident. Me and Beka share this common desire for respect on the court, and I would like to think that we have earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People earn respect in different ways and for anyone in any sport it is definatly important you do so. I started playing soccer at a young age and also in a town where the quality of soccer wasn't always the greatest. So when I started to do well people didn't really respect me because they didn't believe that I actually had the talent, it was only when I started to compete against more competitive and talented players that they started to realise I was actually good. For you, you had to gain respect from your hard work and determination and for me it was more about the comparability with the other players. Coming also from a female athlete just being a female at times can require you to earn respect from other people. Also from Eric's comment it's interesting to see how we each had to gain respect in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post and it got me thinking about NBA players Kobe Bryant and Lebron James. Kobe is one of the most respected players in the league. Currently, Kobe has five championships, 12 all-star awards, six time all NBA first team, six time all NBA first defensive team, and on goes the list. On the other hand, Lebron James has zero championships, and has actually been criticized for his play in the forth quarter of crucial games. Lebron constantly shys away and passes in situations where Kobe would take the shot. Kobe earns his respect on the court, Lebron does not. The only way to truly be respected is to go out there and WIN. Lebron needs to stop worrying about his image, and worry more about winning a championship this year alongside Dwayne Wade.

    ReplyDelete