Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Degree of Separation

As I began studying for my my Psych 280 (Social Psychology) final, I came across something very interesting.  It involved what psychologists call the mere exposure effect.  This term, which is defined by my textbook as a finding that the more exposure we have to a stimulus, the more apt we are to like it, relates to the lecture we were given be Mark Newman about networks.  As I read further into my textbook, it discussed how we can get to know people who are very far away physically but very close in cyber-space.

This whole idea of connecting to people in cyber-space is a completely new revelation to our generation.  Never before did people have the opportunity to communicate so easily with one another, let alone connect with so many people.  As I continued to read about this phenomenon, I decided to do some research on my own to what I could find.  I found one very interesting article from the Washington Post discussing some research done by Microsoft in 2006.  Researchers at Microsoft recorded 30 billion electronic conversations among 180 million people on all of the Microsoft Messenger instant-messaging networks from around the world.  From this they concluded that the average two people are distanced by 6.6 degrees of separation. 

While most people already know this, as Mark Newman told us there are six degrees of separation between ourselves and anyone else, there is something more interesting about this finding.  What the researchers concluded here was that is basically a "connectivity constant for humanity" and this number is 6.6.  Just like any other constant that we use (pi, the speed of light, etc.), this is something that is just as fixed. 

After doing this I decided to see what kind of games there were out there to play to see the connections between people.  I found a fun website called "The Oracle of Bacon".  This website allows you to type in any famous actors or actresses and it will show you their connection.  With the first one I typed in, I found a pretty close connection:

As I played around a little more, I started to create a game with myself.  I tried hundreds of combinations to try and find one that was "6 degrees" apart.  After playing for about 15 minutes, I could not find anything more than 3 degrees away.  This makes more sense as the movie industry is a lot more connected than the average human.

Overall, it is very interesting to see how far the internet can take us these days.  When thinking about the amount of Facebook friends you have, and how many friends they have, and how many each of their friends have, the list just goes on an on.  Especially now, when we are all at a time in our lives where social networking plays such a prominent role in how we communicate with one another.  I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is definitely something that is extremely prevalent.  What do you think? Do you think that we are too reliant on social media these days?


4 comments:

  1. Pretty crazy to think about the idea that we are only 6 degrees of separation apart from any one else in the world. Looking at this idea from such a perspective leads people to think how effective social media has been in bringing the world together and bringing people closer together. I think looking at this from such a macro perspective leads us to believe that the world is in fact closer together. However, i think that looking at this same idea from a micro perspective can lead us to believe the contrary. If we take a closer look at this game of networking and social media I think it is clear to see how such tools are diminishing face to face interactions. Often times we are so worried about texting or facebooking someone who is hundreds of miles away that we forget about the person right in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy to think that social networking and the digital age can bring people so close together, without every having to meet. Without ever meeting people, you can know their face and name from a friend's Facebook picture. However, are they really connections? While it can be nice to say you know someone famous through 6.6 degrees of separation, or that you could possibly get an internship from a friend of a friend's dad, but does the technological gap also create a disadvantage? While it may be easier for me to get my name out in the world, I don't think that the lessening degrees of separation make people any more willing to help you out. Without the same person to person interaction, there are fewer true connections and less people to account for your work ethics or morals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that knowing how closely connected people are/can be is very fascinating. I play a game with my friends in which we give two actors and have to connect them somehow. We don't have a limit on the number of degrees it takes to connect them but the fact they we ALWAYS are able to is mind-boggling. Nowadays on Facebook, you can see people that you are only 1 degree away from via seeing your mutual friends. I cannot remember how many times I've seen a fairly obscure mutual friend I have with someone and just been amazed at how connected we all really are. I wonder how many connections away from Kevin Bacon I am...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way the world is connected today is truly fascinating. With a few clicks of the mouse and few letters typed in, you essentially have some sort of access to anyone in the world as long as you can find some wifi. While I do think that many aspects of these social networking sites such as Facebook are amazing and even more entertaining, I think that privacy is starting to just get thrown out the window as, even with restrictions, anyone can access some sort of information about you from anywhere in the world. Now while I don't think that facebook should be shut down by any means, I just feel like the more time that goes by, only the more invasive the internet is going to get and I am just not sure if anyone in the world knows when the point is going to be when it has reached a point of no privacy and complete openness.

    ReplyDelete